Definition of a rut: a settled and monotonous routine that is hard to escape.
I don’t know about you, but there is a huge part of me that thrives on routine. I like to know what’s coming up next.
- I drink 2 very large cups of coffee with flavored cream every morning.
- Every Monday night including tonight at 9pm I will be watching Jack Bauer save the world (because that’s when 24 is on, and because that’s what Jack does every week).
- I appreciate that tomorrow the school bus will pick Carter up at exactly 7:45am and drove him off at exactly 2:36pm.
- I put my make-up on in the same order, every day.
- I like knowing my church starts at 10:30 every Sunday (even though there are days I am running late and prefer that it ran on my own schedule!)
However, as much as I enjoy my routines, I also know that there is a part of my personality that wants to be given free reign to do whatever I want. I like having choices.
- I want the option of making my bed today, or not. (Today it is definitely not made.)
- I want the option of wearing my hair curly or straight. (Today it is straight, but technically it is still yesterday’s hair as it was not washed today.)
- If I want pancakes for dinner tonight (and I do), I will make them (soon).
- I want the option of reading or not reading my friend’s daily blog (of course, I want him to write it, but I get to decide if I will read it!)
I could really go on and on…but what it boils down to is this, I want control over those things I can control.
I have been asked how often I plan to write new blogs. That is a very good question. But, sad to say, I do not have a very good answer. Let’s see, I wrote 4 days in a row last week and then took a little hiatus to celebrate turning 31. But if I am being truthful, which is usually a very good thing to be, I just didn’t feel I had much to say for 3 days in a row. Hence, no blogs.
I guess what I am saying is…I reserve the right to blog or not blog! I will not be boxed in! I am a free woman! I am a free spirit!
Ok, I am really just laughing at myself right now. Yes, I am a free woman in Christ, but I am not really a free spirit. I have been told that I am actually quite predictable. So, in the spirit of predictability and being definite, I promise to write blogs. Sometimes.
(I have been told that we should all try to learn something new every day…so just in case you haven’t learned something new yet today… Strangely, and entirely not relevant to this blog, a rut can also mean: to be in a state of sexual excitement; of male mammals – WHO KNEW?)