Everyday Spectacular

Imperfections. Ramblings. Life to the Full.

Burned

Last night I asked my husband if he would be interested in an Americano and a little treat. He said, not surprisingly, “SURE!”

I stuck some break and bake cookies in the oven and decided to make them into giant cookies of 4 each instead of breaking them completely apart.

Then I set about preparing his specialty drink with our fancy espresso machine. This is as close to being a barista as I will probably ever come and the least I can do is make his drink the way he likes it.

(Yes, I suppose I was seeking extra wife-points. I’m not ashamed.)

As the cookies were nearing completion, I got the idea to up-the-ante and make the cookies into sundaes with ice cream and chocolate sauce as a lovely surprise for my belly, er, I mean, Jeff’s belly.

I pulled out a new jar of chocolate sundae sauce and decided to warm some of it up in the microwave. I found a small white ramiken, scooped the sauce in and then popped it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Then I reached in, eager to build my masterpieces, and grabbed the cup of sauce.

As I was making the journey from microwave to counter, my brain, all delayed-reaction-like, registered the SCALDING object in my hand. When recognition was complete, my hand tried to get rid of the cup as quickly as possible, which only resulted in chocolate sauce mass-exiting the cup and repositioning all over my hand.

Much screaming and crying ensued from this point on, and I will spare you the details of  my poor response to pain, the blisters on my thumb, and the details of my night spent trying to sleep on the couch while keeping my hand submerged in cool water so as to avoid the continual feeling of my hand being ON FIRE.

No, no. You don’t need to know THOSE details.

What you do need to know is this…

1. My husband was very sweet to me through all of it.

and

2. It’s official…Chocolate can be hazardous to your health.

Advertisements

Single Post Navigation

3 thoughts on “Burned

  1. Laura Farraway on said:

    WOW, ow,ow, wow! I am positively shocked, floored, astonished, astounded, down right flabbergasted in fact!! There you lay, sleepless on the couch in the middle of the night wasting your thoughts on a hand that clearly had no intention of making peace with you and you made NO attempt (not even a pitiful one) to connect with the ever sleepless resident “me” on my couch. Sweet, dare I say positively syrupy, self absorption run amuck! Aw, let’s face it, it’s probably only a matter of time before chocolate takes the rest of us down. You know I luv ya!
    Praying your pain away,
    Laura

    • everydayspectacular on said:

      I can’t believe that I didn’t think to call you…what a waste of a practically sleepless night!!!
      Thanks for making me laugh yet again! When are YOU going to start a blog?

  2. Gerry Gurney on said:

    So sorry to hear about the accident. Be sure to keep the infection away.
    I still think chocolate is a great food product. I know your mom agrees!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: